Moving Past “Imposter Syndrome” and Into Success
Do you ever feel like a fraud? Like you’re not qualified to do the job you’ve been given, and that one day someone will find out? If so, you’re not alone. Many business owners feel this way at some point in their careers. This phenomenon is known as “imposter syndrome.” It can keep business owners from achieving their goals by playing safe in their comfort zone and reaching their full potential. This blog post will discuss imposter syndrome, your comfort zone and how to overcome both and dive into Success!
What is Imposter Syndrome?
Imposter syndrome is the belief that you are not as competent as others think you are. It can be accompanied by feelings of self-doubt, inadequacy, and anxiety. Many business owners who suffer from imposter syndrome feel like they’re just faking it until they make it. They worry that they will be exposed as fraud.
What is your Comfort Zone?
Your comfort zone is the area in which you feel safe and secure. It’s the place where you don’t have to stretch yourself or take risks. When you’re outside of your comfort zone, it can be scary, but it’s also where learning, growth and change occur.
How to overcome Imposter Syndrome and step out of your Comfort Zone?
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution to overcoming imposter syndrome or to step out of your comfort zone. But here are a few tips that may help improve your confidence and set you on your path to Success;
- Acknowledge your feelings. It’s okay to feel scared, or like you’re not good enough. Accepting these real feelings can help you move past them and pave the way for you to be stronger and empowered.
- Set a goal. What do you want to achieve? Make it specific, measurable, achievable and realistic. Don’t forget to write it down or tell someone about it so you’re accountable.
- Challenge yourself by doing small tasks outside your ordinary. Physical exercise can help with your mental health and well-being. Simply going for a walk to break up your day can help you feel unstuck. It may even motivate you to reach out to talk to someone. Stretch yourself each time you walk. Try saying hello to someone as you pass them. Walk to a cafe, shout yourself a coffee or a cold drink .. the challenges are endless.
- Other people feel like this. You are not the only one who feels the way you do; other business owners are going through this daily. Reaching out, and talking to someone, can help you process your feelings and help you see things from another perspective.
- Write a list of activities you would like to master. Beside each task, write why you want to do this activity and how you can achieve it. Don’t be afraid to ask a friend or colleague for support.
- Be prepared for setbacks. When pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, it’s normal to feel scared or anxious sometimes. Expect that there will be challenges along the way, and know that it’s okay to take a step back if you need to.
- Join someone you know in their business networking groups. This will encourage you to do something outside your usual routine (and comfort zone), meet new people and expand your referral base.
- Reward yourself when you do something that is outside your habit. Take time to reflect on how you were feeling before and after.
- Make a conscious decision to make room for growth by being vulnerable and journalling it. Journalling can be a great tool; having the ability to re-read it can help you when you’re feeling intimidated next time. Write down tips on what you did to get through the negative thoughts.
- Keep an open mind. Remember, you don’t have to do things like everyone else does. An open mind allows us to see different perspectives and embrace change.
- See challenges as opportunities instead of obstacles. People usually see obstacles as things that stop them from achieving their goals. They get afraid and frustrated when they think about failing. But you can see these challenges as opportunities for growth. If you face the problems head-on, you will grow, whether you succeed or fail.
- Outside your comfort zone. You allow yourself to learn new things when you step out of your comfort zone.. There may be fear, but when we’re in the “learning zone”, we work through our fears and engage in new endeavours that will add value to our lives.
- Practice self-care and reframe your mind by thinking about growth and positivity. When stepping outside of your comfort zone, acknowledge positive thoughts and repeat motivational thoughts to yourself. For example, you can read and apply daily positive affirmations that you can recite before you start your day and do the same when you retire to rest. This way, you focus on getting your “eyes on the prize” or good outcomes.
- Persevere. Even when it feels difficult, don’t give up on your goal. Remember why you’re doing this, and remind yourself of your progress. Every step counts!
I’ve met many successful business people over the years. Many feel like they don’t deserve the accolades or attention they receive. As an experienced business coach, overcoming imposter syndrome and leaving your comfort zone can be scary. But it can also be gratifying. I have helped clients like you challenge themselves, learn new things, and grow. So if you’re feeling stuck, don’t be afraid to take the plunge, go outside your comfort zone, and overcome imposter syndrome today! You might surprise yourself with what you’re capable of achieving. Feel free to contact me to see if we are a good fit.